Great health starts in your kitchen!
Say goodbye to these dirty dozen offenders and hello to a clean slate
1. GOODBYE, canola oil! Made from the rape plant, canola oil is a GMO product that has been deodorized with hexane, a known toxin, and also undergoes chemical stages that form trans fats. Watch for canola oil in most processed foods, baked goods, popcorn, bread, mayonnaise, salad dressings, salad bars, etc. Other vegetable oils may undergo chemical processing, and in many cases may be rancid and GMO.
HELLO, HEALTHY REPLACEMENTS Coconut oil and grape seed oil both withstand high temperatures. Olive oil can be used, but not for high temperatures. All of these oils should be cold pressed, unfiltered and extra virgin, and packaged in glass containers, not plastic.
2. GOODBYE clear and wine vinegar! This acetic acid is better suited to industrial uses.
HELLO, HEALTHY REPLACEMENT Look for apple cider vinegar, a malic acid from apples, and choose raw, unfiltered brands like Bragg Organic. Apple cider vinegar helps with digestion, PH balance, supporting a healthy immune system, removing toxins, providing enzymes and potassium and so much more.
3. GOODBYE, refined table salt! This product is processed and lacks minerals.
HELLO, HEALTHY REPLACEMENT Himalayan salt provides minerals, is not processed and it tastes better. Celtic sea salt is another good option.
4. GOODBYE, artificial sweeteners! They are made from chemicals and contain no health benefits.
HELLO, HEALTHY REPLACEMENT Dark Stevia benefits the pancreas, has a glycemic index of zero and no calories or carbs. Look for Sweet Leaf-Whole Leaf Concentrate (dark), which is all natural and not chemically processed or bitter like some other brands. Light is ok, too, and even agave is better than anything that is chemically based.
5. GOODBYE, packaged food! Watch out for food with more than five ingredients, and items with sugar at the top of the ingredient list.
HELLO, HEALTHY REPLACEMENT Whole foods, in their natural state.
6. GOODBYE, flavor enhancers! MSG and its by-products, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed soy/vegetable protein and sodium caseinate are neuro-toxins.
HELLO, HEALTHY REPLACEMENT Consider Bragg Nutritional Yeast Seasoning, a vegan, salt- and sugar-free product with a cheese-like flavor and B vitamins. Bragg Organic Sea Kelp Seasoning is rich in minerals with 24 herb and spices, but salt free. Turmeric boosts flavor while lending its anti-cancer properties. Fresh mint and other natural herbs work wonders, too.
7. GOODBYE, tap and bottled water! Tap water contains over 300 chemicals. Bottled water, in most cases, is not much better, while xenoestrogens from BPA plastic leach into the water (not to mention the environmental toll of plastic).
HELLO, HEALTHY REPLACEMENT Solid block carbon filter are best rated by the EPA. A stand-alone gravity filtration system does not require electricity or a plumbing connection. Ceramic filters are somewhat similar, but don’t remove as many contaminants. Remember to use filtered water for cooking and brewing tea.
8. GOODBYE, indoor air pollution! We are spending more time inside than outside, making fresh air indoors vital.