Natural Bleach. REAL bleach is very toxic to humans and the environment.
Winter is a great time to start reducing toxins in our home. We are spending more time indoors where the air can be more toxic than the outdoor air.
Many ingredients in conventional household products are known carcinogens, endocrine disruptors and neurotoxins, just to name a few. Essential oils are a safe alternative. Used in aromatherapy, they have been shown to be anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-septic, and anti-fungal.
Not only will therapeutic essential oils do a great job of cleaning, they can lift your mood and boost your energy, while you are doing this dreaded task! Your home will be filled with wonderful fragrance you can feel good about breathing in.
Here are some ways to use essential oils in your home –
* Disinfect surfaces – 10 drops of Lavender oil added to 2 cups of white vinegar in a spray bottle. Add some more power with 10 drops of lemon and 4 drops of Tea Tree oil. This is also a great recipe to clean floors.
* Deodorize Carpets – 8 drops of Lavender or Tea Tree oil mixed with 1/2 cup of baking soda. Sprinkle and let set for 15 minutes or longer, then vacuum. A few drops on a cotton ball in your vacuum bag takes away that musty smell.
* Disinfect/Deodorize clothes – 10 drops of Lavender, Lemongrass or Tea Tree oil added to your wash load. You can also add these oils to your unscented natural liquid laundry detergent (or dish/hand soap). Freshen clothes in your dryer by adding a few drops to a wet wash cloth.
* Air Freshener – 15 drops of your favorite aroma added to 2 oz of water and 2 oz of alcohol. Shake in a spray bottle, spray!!
* Safely repel insects – 3-5 drops of Lavender or Peppermint oil on a cotton ball placed in corners of cupboards or anywhere you have critters. You can do this in a spray bottle to keep mosquitos away!
* Easy pesticide wash for your fruits and vegetables: Use 6 drops of orange oil with 2tsp of baking soda in a spray bottle filled with water. Spray veggies let them sit for 60 seconds and rinse!
* Remove adhesive/glue or grease from most surfaces – A couple of drops of Lemon or Orange oil, straight, works miracles!
These are just a few of many ways to benefit from essential plant oils. Have fun experimenting and creating your own aromatic blends and strengths.
Happy and safe cleaning!
By Debbie Pirrone, CCHC